Watching the good, the bad, and the ugly of the cinamatic world
2 1/2 minutes at a time.

Friday, June 08, 2007

I Am Legend

I love Richard Matheson's novel. And fortunately, it has already been cinematically ripped off and butchered so many times that I am no longer hit with that initial wave of heartbreak and disgust when I see that Will Smith will be starring in a 100 Trillion Dollar blockbuster version of what should (if faithful to the novel) never cost more than 10 million. The novel takes place almost entirely inside a man's house. In the Will Smith trailer, he was only shown in a house for about 2 seconds, and those 2 seconds appeared to be taken from a workout montage. He wandered all over an abandoned New York, carrying an automatic weapon and doing fun things like hitting golf balls off the wing of a parked Stealth bomber. And despite my love of the book and my exasperation at Hollywood for never being able to take a good idea and not inflate it to 400%, I actually didn't find anything immediately appalling about the trailer. The sets looked good, Will Smith didn't make any Will Smith-eque jokes, and the director appears to know how atmosphere is created. As a teaser trailer, it did not show any of the vampires. Well, I guess they technically aren't vampires, just infected people. Kinda like the "zombies" in the "28 _ Later" series. But they act vampire-ish. Regardless, they don't show up in the trailer.

I've completely forgotten what I'm supposed to be writing about or what point I was trying to make. I guess that's probably a good summery of the impression the trailer leaves. It's been 10 minutes and I've forgotten most of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rory Larry said...

I just saw the trailer earlier today and was wondering when you would make comment. I have not read the novel and have no personal attachment to it. The written exposition was a little over the top but the look of the film was pretty decent. But don't worry, big budget Will Smith movie, will definately have "humorous" dialogue for him to spout.

"suck on this" or "i'll stake my life on it" or something equally lamentable will probably be uttered. Not that I won't see it anyway.

1:36 PM

 
Blogger Rory Larry said...

Trailer Guy, where are you? Where are you?

11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home